Search Postgresql Archives

Re: External psql editor

On 4/29/22 11:55, Rich Shepard wrote:
I do all my postgres work using the psql shell. Editing a command reguires
moving character-by-character and I'd like to use my small text editor (joe)
because it allows more control over line movement.

A web search found a stackexchange thread that suggested adding to
~/.bash_profile the line:
export PSQL_EDITOR=/usr/bin/joe
so I did this yesterday.

Today I've learned that the keyboard chords I use in joe in other
applications aren't working here. For example, C-w should delete the word to
the right of the point (cursor location). It doesn't. Instead, it deletes
from the cursor postion to the head of the line. C-x doesn't move the cursor
one word to the right, but cancels the command.

Is there a way for me to specify use of joe at the psql command line? (I'd
use emacs but that's gross overkill.)

What you are missing is that even though the PSQL_EDITOR env variable is set, psql itself doesn't emulate that editor's behavior natively. You need to actually launch the editor (possibly while having a partial query in the buffer) with the \e command.

While in psql, type \e and Enter. You will have the current query buffer in the editor. You can do this at the end of a partial (not yet semicolon terminated) query.

Best Regards, Jan