Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ZFS filesystem - supported ?

On 10/25/21 1:40 PM, Mladen Gogala wrote:
This is probably not the place to discuss the inner workings of snapshots, but it is worth knowing that snapshots drastically increase the IO rate on the file system - for every snapshot. That's where the slowness comes from.

I have recent anecdotal experience of this. I experiment with using Btrfs for a 32 TB backup system that has five 8 TB spinning disks. There's an average of 8 MBps of writes scattered around the disks, which isn't super high, obviously.

The results were vaguely acceptable until I created a snapshot of it, at which point it became completely unusable. Even having one snapshot present caused hundreds of btrfs-related kernel threads to thrash in the "D" state almost constantly, and it never stopped doing that even when left for many hours.

I then experimented with adding a bcache layer on top of Btrfs to see if it would help. I added a 2 TB SSD using bcache, partitioned as 1900 GB read cache and 100 GB write cache. It made very little difference and was still unusable as soon as a snapshot was taken.

I did play with the various btrfs and bcache tuning knobs quite a bit and couldn't improve it.

Since that test was a failure, I then decided to try the same setup with OpenZFS on a lark, with the same set of disks in a "raidz" array, with the 2 TB SSD as an l2arc read cache (no write cache). It easily handles the same load, even with 72 hourly snapshots present, with the default settings. I'm actually quite impressed with it.

I'm sure that the RAID, snapshots and copy-on-write reduce the maximum performance considerably, compared to ext4. But on the other hand, it did provide the performance I expected to be possible given the setup. Btrfs *definitely* didn't; I was surprised at how badly it performed.

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/