Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Alter and move corresponding: was The tragedy of SQL

As far as alter, in 1981, before I became a programmer, I asked my
Cobol Programmer friend if there was anything you could put in a
program that would get you fired. He said yes, the alter statement :-).
In my 3 semesters of Cobol, I never once used the Alter statement.

[...]

I was very proud of using an ALTER GOTO in my first program in my 8 week COBOL training course.  Now I cringe every time I think about it!

Before the course, I was fluent in FORTRAN IV and had programmed in ALGOL-68.  So I was an experienced programmer.

In what I see now as truly prescient of the early 80's U of BC CS department, algol-68, snobol, cobol, B, APL and half a dozen others I've complete forgoten each got a week with the same Towers of Hanoi task. I can only assume the powers saw the impending dump-heap relegation of the lot of them. The counter argument was that the major project was done PL/1.