Search Postgresql Archives

Re: The tragedy of SQL

On 15/09/21 04:10, Michael Nolan wrote:
I started programming in 1967, and over the last 50+ years I've programmed in more languages than I would want to list.  I spent a decade writing in FORTRAN on a GA 18/30 (essentially a clone of the IBM 1130) with limited memory space, so you had to write EFFICIENT code, something that is a bit of a lost art these days.  I also spent a decade writing in COBOL.

I've not found many tasks that I couldn't find a way to write in whatever language I had available to write it in. There may be bad (or at least inefficient) languages, but there are lots of bad programmers.
--
Mike Nolan
htfoot@xxxxxxxxx

I remember programming in FORTRAN IV on an IBM 1130 at Auckland University.  My first attempt to explore Pythagorean triples was written in FORTRAN on that machine.  Finally had a useful program written in Java about 30 years later.  There are 4 triples starting with 60 that satisfy A*2 + B^2 + C^2 where A < B < C and the numbers are mutually prime. I was able to handle values of A up to the size of long, so I got some pretty big numbers for B & C.  Java's BigInteger class has its uses!

On the IBM 1130 it was faster to use X * X to find the square of a value than to use the power notation (of which I've forgotten the syntax).

And for my many sins, I spent years programming in COBOL.

I've written code in over 30 languages.  Probably had most fun writing a couple of trivial programs in ARM2/3 assembler -- all instructions except one are conditional.

There is no one perfect language, despite what some people might insist!

Cheers,
Gavin