Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Cursor bug?

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 04:35:04PM -0600, Mike G. wrote:
> thank you.
>
> I use the cursor because I really do an update against a different
> table based on a value from the select in the original table.  I am
> eagerly awaiting 8.0 and the ability to issue an Update Table1 Set
> Table1.col = Table2.col Using (Select y from Table2)

What's this USING keyword you're referring to, I can't find it in the
documentation anywhere, what does it do?

Beside, it's seems to me your entire function could be replaced by a
single query:

insert into temp_tables.delete_me
     select name, file_number, question_to_change,
            new_result, email
     from source_table
     where question_to_change = 'consultant'
     and file_number is not NULL;

or something like that, i didn't check the schema. But this is probably
a cut down version. Tom's suggestion to use a FOR IN SELECT loop is a
good one.

Hope this helps,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@xxxxxxxxx>   http://svana.org/kleptog/