Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pl/pgsql trigger: syntax error at or near "ELSEIF"

Roman Neuhauser wrote:
Hello, what is the parser trying to tell me? (7.4.2 if it matters)
test'#       ELSEIF TG_OP = ''DELETE'' THEN

You typed ELSEIF, the parser doesn't know what that means (It's either ELSIF or ELSE IF).

On a related note: if I replace NEW with OLD in the second UPDATE (in the
ELSEIF branch), I get:
What's wrong with that?

OLD doesn't exist in INSERT triggers, only in UPDATE and DELETE triggers. A record in an INSERT trigger is by definition a new record, an old record wouldn't make sense.

IMHO, it would be better to write two or three different triggers (one on INSERT, the other on DELETE, and maybe a third on UPDATE) than writing a single and trying to figure out which of those three it was in the trigger.

Alban Hertroys.

     joining column's datatypes do not match