Search Postgresql Archives

Re: The contents of the pg_timezone_names view bring some surprises

On 5/19/21 5:50 PM, Bryn Llewellyn wrote:

Thanks, as ever, David and Tom, for your quick responses. Thanks also to Adrian Klaver, who replied in a branched thread with this—in response to my comment about my reading of the information content of the pg_timezone_abbrevs view: « This claims (as I read it) that a time zone abbreviation uniquely determines an offset from UTC. »

*Secondly, Adrians's response.*

Yes, the point that a timezone abbreviation does not uniquely determine the timezone offset is taken now. But notice this:

« In short, this is the difference between abbreviations and full names: abbreviations represent a specific offset from UTC…»
from

"8.5.3. Time Zones"
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES>

This seems to me to be flat-out wrong. An abbreviation, in general, does not represent a specific offset from UTC. Rather, it can represent two or more different offsets.

It is not flat out wrong. An abbreviation, say the one I'm in now PDT, will only represent a specific offset(-07), whereas the timezone I'm in, America/Los_Angeles, represents two offsets(-08/-07) the value of which depends on the date. Now there maybe another abbreviation that uses that same offset, but again it only represents a single offset.

Nonsense, eh? As David said, it's an instance of the more general:

set timezone = 'Foo42Bar';
show timezone;

I wish there was a way to turn this off and accept only pg_timestamp_names.name values.

The second reason is that the abbreviations confuse ordinary readers who are slow to remember the "up is down" story.

The issue is you are looking for logic in a system that is based on political decisions. For instance there is a brewing West Coast movement, whereby the states on the US West Coast are looking to drop the DST transition with or without the approval of Congress. COVID stalled it, but I expect it will appear again in the near future.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx