Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ERROR: could not attach to dynamic shared area

Am 24.03.21 17:09 schrieb(en) Laurenz Albe:
> > ERROR: could not attach to dynamic shared area
> > LOG: background worker "parallel worker" (PID 51151) exited with exit code 1
​
Is that repeatable?

No, it isn't.  I'm running PGSql 13 since ~4 Months (cluster upgraded from v. 10), and updated to 13.2 ~four weeks ago.  The error occurred exactly /once/.

If not, it could be a race condition: a parallel query finished rather fast,
but one of the parallel workers took long to start up, so when it tries to
attach to the dynamic shared memory segment used to exchange data between the
parallel processes, it realizes that everybody else has already left and
destroyed the memory segment.

That makes sense!  The triggering statement I found in the log performs a quite complex join, typically returning very few records.  And the calling application (using libpq) did *not* receive any error.

In the latter case, you can ignore the error.

Good to know that!

Thanks a lot for your fast help,
Albrecht.