Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Need help with clarification on stored procedure support in PostGreSQL database

On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 11:01:07AM -0800, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/7/21 10:48 AM, Bysani, Ram wrote:
> > PostgreSQL version: 11.11
> >
> > Operating system:   Linux 64 bit

> > Greetings
> >
> > We have found posts on several forums that Stored Procedures are not
> > supported in PostGreSQL databasel.
> >
> > We looked at the documentation but it is not clear when Stored Procedure
> > support was added. We are aware that Functions are supported.
> >
> > Please provide details / clarify if Stored Procedures are available in
> > versions 11.x, 12.x, 13.x Please also confirm when it was actually
> > added.
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/ <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/>
> >
> > Thanks for your time
>
> Go to page David Johnson posted:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createprocedure.html
>
> and look at 'Supported Versions:' at top of page.
>
> > Regards
> > Ram Bysani
>
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx

Is there any important different between a stored procedure and
a stored function that returns void? I've been using functions
for everything but calling them procedures in my head (even though
most of them do return a value or result set).

cheers,
raf