Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ESQL/C: a ROLLBACK rolls back a COMMITED transaction

On 5/13/20 11:16 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
El día Mittwoch, Mai 13, 2020 a las 08:15:40 -0700, Adrian Klaver escribió:

In your original post you had:

"We're facing in our ESQL/C written application a situation where a
commit'ed INSERT into a table is rolled back. I have here the ESQL/C
logging of the problem:"

"The INSERT of 1 row into table swd_daten was OK and commit'ed (marked line)
and a later rollback (last line) seems to roll it back, at least the row
isn't in the table.

Any ideas? The connection is not set to AUTOCOMMIT."

You then included a sequence of log messages that ended with a "rollback".
Within that sequence was the INSERT to swd_auftrag. It seemed reasonable to
ask whether that INSERT rolled back also. That is if the intent of this
thread is to figure out why the INSERT was rolled back. If the thread has
changed to fixing ESQL/C logging then ignore the above.

The intention of my original post was to understand why the INSERT was
rolled back. I do know this now: because I overlooked that the cancel of
the transaction was done after the INSERT by CLOSE of a non open CURSOR.

Huh, this message:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200513101301.GC26063%40sh4-5.1blu.de

got delayed in the ether somewhere. It showed up recently, so now I see the issue.

We're fixing this now already by checking in pg_cursors if the CURSOR is
still open before issue the CLOSE. I don't know how expensive this is,
but it seems that there is no other option to check this.

The side step about fixing ESQL/C logging should be handled in another
thread.

Thanks all for your help

	matthias

--