Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

On 1/26/20 8:59 AM, Andrus wrote:
Hi!

VPS server has old Debian 6 Squeeze with Postgres 9.1
It has 24 databases.

Every night backup copies are created using pg_dump to /root/backups directory for every database.
This directory has 24 .backup files with total size 37 GB.

I installed new VPS server with Debian 10 and Postgres 12.

How to transfer those databases to new server ?

Before you do any of this I would check the Release Notes for the first release of each major release. Prior to version 10 that would be X.X.x where X is a major release. For 10+ that is X.x. I would also test the upgrade before doing it on your production setup.

Best practice if you are going the dump/restore route is to use the pg_dump binary from the new server(12) to dump the old server(9.1)

Both server have ssh and root user, postgres port 5432  open,  100 MB internet connection and fixed IP addresses. In night they are not used by users, can stopped during move.

Should I download .backup files and use pg_restore or use pipe to restore whole cluster.

Andrus.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx