Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian

On 12/3/19 7:53 AM, stan wrote:
I am working on upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian.

My first attempt failed, and I have figured out that this is because I have
added extensions to the V11 DB, at least one of which was not installed
using  the Debian packages.

So, it looks like i need to install these before doing the upgrade, correct?

This brings up a chicken or egg issue however. We are creating the
extensions, like this:

CREATE EXTENSION emailaddr with schema ica

So, to accomplish this, I would need to create the ice schema, and the user
it "belongs" to before I run pg_upgradecluster. This raises 2 questions

There are two parts to adding extensions. First you install the *files* the extension needs. If you build from source this happens when you say `make install`. Or if you use pgxn, when you say `pgxn install foo`. On Ubuntu this will add the *.sql and *.control files to /usr/share/postgresql/12/extension, and the *.so files to /usr/lib/postgresql/12/lib (so I assume Debian is similar). You can do that before running pg_upgradecluster.

The second part is saying CREATE EXTENSION, which adds the extension to the current database. pg_upgradecluster should handle that for you; it shouldn't require any extra steps.

I hope this helps!

Yours,

--
Paul              ~{:-)