Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [External] postgres 9.5 DB corruption: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"

"Brad Nicholson" <bradn@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Thomas Tignor <tptignor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 03/25/2019 08:25:49 PM:
>> Thanks for writing. As I mentioned to Vijay, the "source" is a JVM
>> using the postgres v42.0.0 JDBC driver. I do not believe we have any
>> explicit encoding set, and so I expect the client encoding is
>> SQL_ASCII. The DB is most definitely UTF8.

> These statements are contradictory.

> The value of client_encoding from your select on pg_settings is SQL_ASCII.

> The docs clearly state:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/runtime-config-client.html
> "Sets the client-side encoding (character set). The default is to use the
> database encoding. "

> If you don't have client_encoding explicitly, then it is using the database
> encoding.

Umm ... not necessarily.  That bit in runtime-config-client.html
correctly states what the *server's* default for client_encoding is,
but an awful lot of client-side code will immediately override that.
psql will try to set it based on its LANG/LC_CTYPE environment,
for example.  I don't know what JDBC does; it might be different.

But in any case, yes, it'd be more reliable to check pg_database.encoding
explicitly.

			regards, tom lane