Search Postgresql Archives

postgres 9.5 DB corruption: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"

Hoping someone may be able to offer some guidance on this recurring problem. I am providing this "problem report" to the general list as I understand the bugs list requires a set of reproduction steps we do not yet have. Please advise if I have the process wrong. I have tried to provide all known relevant info here. Thanks in advance for any insights.
--> A description of what you are trying to achieve and what results you expect.:
We are experiencing intermittent DB corruption in postgres 9.5.14. We are trying to identify and eliminate all sources. We are using two independent services for data replication, Slony-I v2.2.6 and a custom service developed in-house. Both are based on COPY operations. DB corruption is observed when COPY operations fail with an error of the form: 'invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"'. This occurs with a frequency ranging between a few days and several weeks. Each incident is followed by a race to find and repair or remove corrupted data, which we are getting good at. With well over a dozen incidents, the great majority originally showed corruption in a single VARCHAR(2000) column (value) in a single table (alert_attribute). In this time, we read about suspected and real problems with TOAST functionality and so made the decision to change alert_attribute.value to PLAIN storage. Since that change was made, most new incidents show corruption in the alert_attribute.name column instead (VARCHAR(200)). Another table (alert_instance) has been impacted as well. See below for their schemas.

We have looked high and low through system logs and device reporting utility output for any sign of hardware failures. We haven't turned up anything yet. We also tried rebuilding an entire DB from scratch. That did not seem to help.

We have not been performing routine reindexing. This is a problem we are working to correct. Normally our master DB serves for an 8-12 week period without reindexing before we failover to a peer. Before assuming the master role, the peer always begins by truncating the alert_instance and alert_attribute tables and loading all data from the current master.

Hardware specs are listed below. For storage, we have 8 INTEL SSDSA2BW12 direct-attached disks. We can provide additional info as needed.

ams=# \d ams.alert_attribute
               Table "ams.alert_attribute"
      Column       |          Type           | Modifiers
-------------------+-------------------------+-----------
 alert_instance_id | integer                 | not null
 name              | character varying(200)  | not null
 data_type         | smallint                | not null
 value             | character varying(2000) |
    "pk_alert_attributes" PRIMARY KEY, btree (alert_instance_id, name), tablespace "tbls5"
    "idx_aa_aval" btree (name, value)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "fk_alert_attr_instance_id" FOREIGN KEY (alert_instance_id) REFERENCES ams.alert_instance(alert_instance_id) ON DELETE CASCADE
Triggers:
    _ams_cluster_logtrigger AFTER INSERT OR DELETE OR UPDATE ON ams.alert_attribute FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE _ams_cluster.logtrigger('_ams_cluster', '2', 'kk')
    _ams_cluster_truncatetrigger BEFORE TRUNCATE ON ams.alert_attribute FOR EACH STATEMENT EXECUTE PROCEDURE _ams_cluster.log_truncate('2')
Disabled user triggers:
    _ams_cluster_denyaccess BEFORE INSERT OR DELETE OR UPDATE ON ams.alert_attribute FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE _ams_cluster.denyaccess('_ams_cluster')
    _ams_cluster_truncatedeny BEFORE TRUNCATE ON ams.alert_attribute FOR EACH STATEMENT EXECUTE PROCEDURE _ams_cluster.deny_truncate()

ams=#
ams=# \d ams.alert_instance
                    Table "ams.alert_instance"
       Column        |              Type              | Modifiers
---------------------+--------------------------------+-----------
 alert_instance_id   | integer                        | not null
 alert_definition_id | integer                        | not null
 alert_instance_key  | character varying(500)         | not null
 start_active_date   | timestamp(0) without time zone | not null
 stop_active_date    | timestamp(0) without time zone |
 active              | smallint                       | not null
 acknowledged        | smallint                       | not null
 ack_clear_time      | timestamp(0) without time zone |
 user_set_clear_time | smallint                       |
 category_id         | integer                        | not null
 condition_start     | timestamp(0) without time zone | not null
 unack_reason        | character varying(1)           |
 viewer_visible      | smallint                       | not null
    "pk_alert_instance" PRIMARY KEY, btree (alert_instance_id), tablespace "tbls5"
    "idx_alert_inst_1" btree (alert_instance_key, alert_definition_id, alert_instance_id, active, acknowledged, ack_clear_time), tablespace "tbls5"
    "idx_alert_inst_cat_id" btree (category_id), tablespace "tbls5"
    "idx_alert_inst_def_id" btree (alert_definition_id), tablespace "tbls5"
Check constraints:
    "ck_alert_inst_acked" CHECK (acknowledged = 0 OR acknowledged = 1)
    "ck_alert_inst_active" CHECK (active = 0 OR active = 1)
    "ck_alert_inst_set_cl_tm" CHECK (user_set_clear_time = 0 OR user_set_clear_time = 1)
    "ck_alert_inst_viewer_vis" CHECK (viewer_visible = 0 OR viewer_visible = 1)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "fk_alert_inst_cat_id" FOREIGN KEY (category_id) REFERENCES ams.category(category_id)
    "fk_alert_inst_def_id" FOREIGN KEY (alert_definition_id) REFERENCES ams.alert_definition(alert_definition_id)
    "fk_alert_inst_unack_reason" FOREIGN KEY (unack_reason) REFERENCES ams.unack_reason(unack_reason)
Referenced by:
    TABLE "ams.alert_attribute" CONSTRAINT "fk_alert_attr_instance_id" FOREIGN KEY (alert_instance_id) REFERENCES ams.alert_instance(alert_instance_id) ON DELETE CASCADE
Triggers:
    _ams_cluster_logtrigger AFTER INSERT OR DELETE OR UPDATE ON ams.alert_instance FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE _ams_cluster.logtrigger('_ams_cluster', '1', 'k')
    _ams_cluster_truncatetrigger BEFORE TRUNCATE ON ams.alert_instance FOR EACH STATEMENT EXECUTE PROCEDURE _ams_cluster.log_truncate('1')
Disabled user triggers:
    _ams_cluster_denyaccess BEFORE INSERT OR DELETE OR UPDATE ON ams.alert_instance FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE _ams_cluster.denyaccess('_ams_cluster')
    _ams_cluster_truncatedeny BEFORE TRUNCATE ON ams.alert_instance FOR EACH STATEMENT EXECUTE PROCEDURE _ams_cluster.deny_truncate()

ams=#

--> PostgreSQL version number you are running:
9.5.14

--> How you installed PostgreSQL:
We use a customized installer. It copies a “make install”-based distribution into place on a target install host.
Our compiler is gcc 5.4.0.

CFLAGS: -m32 -march=opteron -mno-3dnow -ggdb -O2 -Wall

$P/CONFIGURE_OPTIONS := \
        --with-perl \
        --with-openssl \
        --with-libxml \
        --with-libxslt \
        --with-includes="$(COMMON)/include/perl $(COMMON)/include" \
        --with-libs="$(COMMON)/lib" --prefix=$($P/PREFIX) \
        --enable-debug \
        --disable-nls

--> Changes made to the settings in the postgresql.conf file:  see Server Configuration for a quick way to list them all.
ams=# SELECT version();
                                                        version
 PostgreSQL 9.5.14 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9aka9.0.3) 5.4.0 20160609, 32-bit
(1 row)

ams=# SELECT name, current_setting(name), SOURCE
ams-#   FROM pg_settings
ams-#   WHERE SOURCE NOT IN ('default', 'override');
              name              |  current_setting   |        source
--------------------------------+--------------------+----------------------
 application_name               | psql               | client
 autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay   | 100ms              | configuration file
 checkpoint_completion_target   | 0.9                | configuration file
 client_encoding                | SQL_ASCII          | client
 cpu_index_tuple_cost           | 0.001              | configuration file
 cpu_operator_cost              | 0.0005             | configuration file
 cpu_tuple_cost                 | 0.002              | configuration file
 DateStyle                      | ISO, MDY           | configuration file
 default_statistics_target      | 150                | configuration file
 default_text_search_config     | pg_catalog.english | configuration file
 effective_cache_size           | 8007MB             | configuration file
 lc_messages                    | C                  | configuration file
 lc_monetary                    | C                  | configuration file
 lc_numeric                     | C                  | configuration file
 lc_time                        | C                  | configuration file
 listen_addresses               | 0.0.0.0            | configuration file
 log_autovacuum_min_duration    | 0                  | configuration file
 log_checkpoints                | on                 | configuration file
 log_connections                | on                 | configuration file
 log_disconnections             | on                 | configuration file
 log_line_prefix                | %m %p %u %h %d     | configuration file
 log_min_duration_statement     | 1min               | configuration file
 log_min_messages               | notice             | configuration file
 log_temp_files                 | 0                  | configuration file
 maintenance_work_mem           | 512MB              | configuration file
 max_connections                | 600                | configuration file
 max_stack_depth                | 2MB                | environment variable
 max_wal_size                   | 15360TB            | configuration file
 random_page_cost               | 2.5                | configuration file
 restart_after_crash            | off                | configuration file
 shared_buffers                 | 2GB                | configuration file
 ssl                            | on                 | configuration file
 ssl_ca_file                    | root.crt           | configuration file
 standard_conforming_strings    | on                 | configuration file
 statement_timeout              | 1min               | configuration file
 superuser_reserved_connections | 10                 | configuration file
 syslog_ident                   | postgresql9.5-1.12 | configuration file
 tcp_keepalives_idle            | 0                  | configuration file
 unix_socket_permissions        | 0770               | configuration file
 work_mem                       | 30MB               | configuration file
(40 rows)

ams=#

--> Operating system and version:
Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS

--> What program you're using to connect to PostgreSQL:
Most DML is performed by a standalone JVM using the PostgreSQL JDBC Driver v42.0.0.

--> Is there anything relevant or unusual in the PostgreSQL server logs?:
We have sometimes but not always seen "invalid memory alloc request size" errors around the time of these events. Our experience suggests that "invalid memory alloc request size" errors are a symptom specifically of index corruption and are remediated by reindexing.

--> For questions about any kind of error:
--> What you were doing when the error happened / how to cause the error:
Periodic DML (inserts and updates) focused primarily on two DB tables (ams.alert_instance and ams.alert_attribute) with hourly batched transfers of inactive alerts to history tables (deletes from ams.alert_instance, ams.alert_attribute and corresponding inserts to ams.alert_instance_hist, ams.alert_attribute_hist within the same transaction).

--> The EXACT TEXT of the error message you're getting, if there is one: (Copy and paste the message to the email, do not send a screenshot)
2018-12-27 07:25:24.527 GMT 30462 appuser 127.0.0.1 ams ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x86
The specific identified byte varies with each incident.

--> CPU Info
2*4-core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31270 @ 3.40GHz

--> Mem Info
16GB RAM

--> Storage Info
root@xxxxxxxx.netmgmt:~# lsscsi -l

[0:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      INTEL SSDSA2BW12 0362  /dev/sda
  state=running queue_depth=32 scsi_level=7 type=0 device_blocked=0 timeout=30
[0:0:1:0]    disk    ATA      INTEL SSDSA2BW12 0362  /dev/sdb
  state=running queue_depth=32 scsi_level=7 type=0 device_blocked=0 timeout=30
[0:0:2:0]    disk    ATA      INTEL SSDSA2BW12 0362  /dev/sdc
  state=running queue_depth=32 scsi_level=7 type=0 device_blocked=0 timeout=30
[0:0:3:0]    disk    ATA      INTEL SSDSA2BW12 0362  /dev/sdd
  state=running queue_depth=32 scsi_level=7 type=0 device_blocked=0 timeout=30
[0:0:4:0]    disk    ATA      INTEL SSDSA2BW12 0362  /dev/sde
  state=running queue_depth=32 scsi_level=7 type=0 device_blocked=0 timeout=30
[0:0:5:0]    disk    ATA      INTEL SSDSA2BW12 0362  /dev/sdf
  state=running queue_depth=32 scsi_level=7 type=0 device_blocked=0 timeout=30
[0:0:6:0]    disk    ATA      INTEL SSDSA2BW12 0362  /dev/sdg
  state=running queue_depth=32 scsi_level=7 type=0 device_blocked=0 timeout=30
[0:0:7:0]    disk    ATA      INTEL SSDSA2BW12 0362  /dev/sdh
  state=running queue_depth=32 scsi_level=7 type=0 device_blocked=0 timeout=30
root@xxxxxxxx.netmgmt:~#

root@xxxxxxxx.netmgmt:~# modinfo md_mod
filename:       /lib/modules/4.14.68-4.14.3-amd64-3adf3675665129fa/kernel/drivers/md/md-mod.ko
alias:          block-major-9-*
alias:          md
license:        GPL
depends:
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
name:           md_mod
vermagic:       4.14.68-4.14.3-amd64-3adf3675665129fa SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           start_dirty_degraded:int
parm:           create_on_open:bool
root@xxxxxxxx.netmgmt:~#

Tom    :-)