Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Barman versus pgBackRest

On 17/1/19 4:12 μ.μ., Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 13:09:18 +0200
Achilleas Mantzios <achill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

One strong point of barman IMHO is transparently converting an incremental
backup to a full backup for retention purposes, so retention specification is
far more liberal than with pgbackrest, and configuring for incremental backup
does not pose any limitations to the schedule of backups. In our environment
our net connection to the remote site (repo) is extremely lousy, (although
within Switzerland if that makes any difference), so with pgbackrest a full
backup of our 1.3TB db, would take about 2 days ,lets say set in cron weekly
on sunday, (Sunday 1:00->Tuesday),  then I would have to take incr backups
from Wednesday->Saturday. And we would have to also take a full backup next
Sunday. With pgbarman we had to set : reuse_backup = link retention_policy =
RECOVERY WINDOW OF 14 DAYS and just perform regular backups. So for barman
every backup can be used as a base for the next backup, which achieves fast
backups and reduced disk space. In pgbackrest one has to be explicit about
the retention of both full backups and diff backups. it would be nice in
pgbackrest to only have incremental backups and let the system do the
necessary management (converting incremental to full) transparently and
asynchronously, e.g.via cron. I have read about the --repo-hardlink option. "
This gives the appearance that each backup is a full backup at the
file-system level " So could we just take a first full backup and then switch
permanently to incr backups?
Funnily enough, I opened an issue a month ago about this feature. If you want
to join the brainstorming, discuss, add some opinions and thoughts, see
https://github.com/pgbackrest/pgbackrest/issues/644
Surely I enjoyed your convo there!

--
Achilleas Mantzios