Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Barman versus pgBackRest

On 09/04/2018 10:51 AM, David Steele wrote:
[snip]
This will work, but I don't think it's what Ron is getting at.

To be clear, it is not possible to restore a database into an *existing*
cluster using pgBackRest selective restore.  This is a limitation of
PostgreSQL file-level backups.

To do what Ron wants you would need to restore it to a new cluster, then
use pg_dump to logically dump and restore it to whatever cluster you
want it in.  This still saves time since there is less to restore but is
obviously not ideal.

That's exactly what I'm referring to.

Presumably I could restore it to a new cluster on the same VM via initdb on a different port and PGDATA directory?