Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql-10.3 on unbuntu-17.10 - how??

On 03/21/2018 12:14 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 03/21/2018 10:59 AM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
On 03/21/2018 07:02 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 03/20/2018 10:52 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
[...]
If it where me I would simplify the above for the moment to :
apt-get install postgresql-10

Tried on a fresh Ubuntu-17.10 install (with no postgresql at all installed)
but similar problem persists with the postgresql from the pgdg bionic repo:

   # apt-get install postgresql-10
    postgresql-10 : Depends: postgresql-client-10
                    Depends: libicu60 (>= 60.1-1~) but it is not installable
                    Depends: libpq5 (>= 9.3~) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0) but it is not installable
                    Recommends: sysstat but it is not going to be installed

Looks like forward compatibility issues, your 17.10 does not have the
newer versions of files needed by the 18.04 Postgres packages and it
will not install them as they probably would break other programs in
17.10.  If it does not work going forward maybe it will work going
backward, see if you have any better luck using the 16.04(Xenial)
repo.

Thanks, I forgot that the older repos also received the pg-10 update.
Unfortunately but no luck with Xenial either, slightly different
but similar conflicts.

My main motivation for updating to 10.3 was to be able to load data
dumped from a 10.3 database.  pg_restore complained about "unsupported
version (1.13) in file header".  However I just discovered I can load
a plain sql dump from that database so panic mode is over :-) and I
can wait until I can upgrade my machine to ubuntu-18.04.

It still seems to me that the best advice for using Postgresql on
Ubuntu is to use the Ubuntu version of Postgresql if you don't need
the latest version; if you do need latest version, use the Pgdg
version but only with a LTS version of Ubuntu.

If you need the latest version of both Ubuntu and Postgresql, you
may be out of luck.