Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql-10.3 on unbuntu-17.10 - how??

On 03/21/2018 11:12 AM, Vincenzo Romano wrote:
On 03/20/2018 10:52 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
[...]
Is there any reason now not to conclude that the 10.3 bionic version is
simply incompatible with Ubuntu-17.10 (at least without a lot more package
wrangling chops than I have)?

One can install postgresql-10.1 but one cannot upgrade it to get security
fixes or to be able to load data dumped from another 10.3 database.

Given that Ubuntu-18.04 will be out soon I guess this is pretty much moot
except for a few unfortunates like me who absolutely need 10.3 but have no
option to upgrade.  I guess the lesson is that running the Pgdg versions
of Postgresql on any but the LTS versions of Ubuntu is pretty risky.
Live and learn.  Maybe this will help someone else.

I have followed more than once the exact directions from the download page:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/

Just pretend you are running 17.10 instead of 17.04.

It simply works.

Thanks Vincenzo.  You meant "pretend you are running 17.04 instead of
17.10", yes?

I followed those directions exactly too but the results for me are that
postgresql-10.1 gets installed, not 10.3 which is what I need.

Also, just for the record, I had a version problem with postgresql-10.1
too: the libdbd-pg-perl installed with postgresql-10 and with Ubuntu
conflicted.  After a couple days of research I was able to force the
install of a compatible version which worked with both, but it definitely
wasn't "simply worked" for me.