Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

Em 26/12/2017 20:11, rob stone escreveu:
Hello,

On Tue, 2017-12-26 at 18:58 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:Hello,
David Steele wrote:

pgBackRest will validate all page checksums (including indexes,
etc.) in the
cluster during backup.  Full backups check everything,
incr/differential
backups check only the files that have changed.
If a table or index file is of zero length when backed up, as in the
described case, nothing will be checked, right?  I mean, there is
nothing externally indicating that the file ought to be of a
different
size.  Am I wrong?  So Edson's situation here would not raise any red
flags.

Could the following occur:-
1) Your app. issues a BEGIN followed by an INSERT.
2) Postgres decides to open a new file in order to store the new row.
3) Your app. then does a ROLLBACK.

Wouldn't that leave you with a zero length file on disk?

There's no reason for Postgres to delete the file just because a
rollback was issued. All it has to do is clear the buffer in memory.

My 2 cents.

Rob

You are right, in several databases I've looked there are many files with 0 byte size in ./base folder.
This is not a good quest.

Regards,

Edson