Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postmaster deadlock while logging after syslogger exited

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Andres Freund <andres@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 2017-11-20 11:12:08 -0800, David Pacheco wrote:
> $ ps -opid,rss,vsz,args -p 37627
>   PID  RSS  VSZ COMMAND
> 37627 2980 14968 /opt/postgresql/9.2.4/bin/postgres -D /manatee/pg/data
>
> I'm not sure what we can infer from that, as this is a different system,
> and the workload that generates the very large query strings only runs
> occasionally.  Those strings are also not logged unless something's gone
> wrong.

FWIW, I'd like to see a report of this around the time the issue
occurred before doing anything further here.

This failure begins when this process exits, so the best you could get is memory in use immediately before it exited.  I obviously can't get that now for the one instance I saw weeks ago, but maybe PostgreSQL could log information about current memory usage when it's about to exit because of ENOMEM?  That way if anybody hits a similar condition in the future, the data will be available to answer your question.

That said, I think the deadlock itself is pretty well explained by the data we have already.

-- Dave