Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Caching and Blobs in PG? Was: Can PG replace redis, amqp, s3 in the future?

On 03.05.2017 12:57, Thomas Güttler wrote:
Am 02.05.2017 um 05:43 schrieb Jeff Janes:
On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Thomas Güttler <guettliml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:guettliml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Is is possible that PostgreSQL will replace these building blocks in the future?

     - redis (Caching)

PostgreSQL has its own caching. It might not be quite as effective as redis', but you can us it if you are willing to
take those trade offs.

What kind of caching does PG offer?

I would use a table with a mtime-column and delete the content after N days.

After searching the web, it seems to me that PostgreSQL doesn't offer a cron-like background job for cleanup tasks.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18187490/postgresql-delete-old-rows-on-a-rolling-basis

But there's an extension - pg_cron:
https://www.citusdata.com/blog/2016/09/09/pgcron-run-periodic-jobs-in-postgres/

No. You can certainly use PostgreSQL to store blobs. But then, you need to store the PostgreSQL data **someplace**.
If you don't store it in S3, you have to store it somewhere else.

I don't understand what you mean here. AFAIK storing blobs in PG is not recommended since it is not very efficient.

Seems like several people here disagree with this conventional wisdom.

I think what he was talking about the data itself. You have to store the bits and bytes somewhere (e.g. on S3).

Sven