Search Postgresql Archives

Re: initdb with ignore hidden option

On 05/04/2017 09:59 AM, Feld, Michael (IMS) wrote:
Hi Postgres team,

                Our organization would like to make a feature request to
ignore hidden files/directories when running an initdb. We use hidden
directories for misc backup strategies, and it’s cumbersome when needing
to coordinate with our storage administrator when we are re-using an
existing directory for an initdb.

I going to say this is not going to be on a list of priorities. The primary reason being that having another program/programs running around in $PGDATA is scary. It is often the root cause of the '$PGDATA or some portion of it' disappeared posts that arrive on this list. If you really want to do this why not create symlinks in $PGDATA out to the backup directories. Then you can rm * in the directory, initdb, run a script that restores the symlinks.

Options such as these would be helpful:

-ignore-existing

-ignore-dot-files

-ignore=(file/directory name)

Thanks

MF

Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for
the addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or
an employee or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender of the error.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx