Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Queries are taking way longer in 9.6 than 9.5

On 01/19/2017 06:21 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

yes.  Either way, I would like to very much understand how server is
preferring 3m cost plan to 2.6k cost plan or is otherwise unable to
access the cheap plan.

Perhaps it doesn't even see the 2.6k cost - it may not generate the plan for some reason, or it arrives to different estimates.

The OP was repeatedly asked for details of the configuration, I've even sent a query for doing that a few days back. It's difficult to help when such basic info is not provided, though.

It'd also be interesting to see the statistics for the tables involved, so something like

   SELECT * FROM pg_stats WHERE tablename IN (... tables ...)

and

   SELECT relname, relpages, reltuples, relallvisible
     FROM pg_class WHERE relame IN (... tables ...)

might shed some light on what the planner assumes about the data.

Of course, there are other things we might need to know. For example if there are foreign keys between the tables, 9.6 is using that for the estimates (unlike 9.5). And so on.

regards