Search Postgresql Archives

Re: confusion about user paring with pg_hba and pg_ident

On 10/12/2016 02:07 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:20 PM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    arnaud gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:arnaud.gaboury@xxxxxxxxx>> writes:

    > I am a little confused about some of my settings when it comes to map

    > linux/psql users.

    I think you're misunderstanding what the user-mapping stuff does.

    It does not silently translate the username in the connection request

    to something else; rather, it checks whether a user having the given

    external name is allowed to log in as a particular Postgres user.

    So there's nothing particularly wrong with your config files, but your

Then, if my files are correct, why can't I connect ?

 % psql --dbname=mattermost --username=mmuser
psql: FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "mmuser"

What system user are you doing the above as?

login with postgres is OK (pg_hba.conf settings: local
all                 postgres       trust):
 % psql --dbname=mattermost --username=postgres
psql (9.5.4)
Type "help" for help.

mattermost=# \q

I can't see why I can't connect as Postgresuser mmuser.

Common issues:

1) You have more then one Postgres cluster and you are not connecting to the one you think you are.

2) pg_hba.conf works on first match wins, so you have another line that matches the criteria but is not pointing at the correct map.

You had it working here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAK1hC9uLhsyn4g8Fc1FwhnDQzNx9k115GkK9iFKHepfjeMc%2Beg%40mail.gmail.com

So other then adding the mapping for the dovecot user, did anything else change?

                            regards, tom lane

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx