Search Postgresql Archives

Re: confusion about user paring with pg_hba and pg_ident

On 10/11/2016 04:25 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:
I am a little confused about some of my settings when it comes to map
linux/psql users.

I have two databases: mattermost and thetradinghall
I have two linux users: mattermost and dovecot. mattermost  is the one
who want to talk to mattermost and dovecot  the one who want to talk to
thetradinghall.
I have two postresql users: mmuser and mailman.

Here are the relevant part of my config files:

pg_hba.conf
-------------------
 local   thetradinghall      mailman                     peer
map=mailmap
 local   mattermost          mmuser                      peer
map=mattermap

pg_ident.conf
----------------------
  mailmap        dovecot                 mailman
  mattermap      mattermost              mmuser

* question: can I use same mapname for my both DB, or using two mapnames
like I did is the correct way?

Yes:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/auth-username-maps.html

"Since different mappings might be needed for different connections, the name of the map to be used is specified in the map-name parameter in pg_hba.conf to indicate which map to use for each individual connection."

Now testing:
-----------------------------
bash-4.3$ whoami
mattermost
bash-4.3$ psql postgres:///mattermost?
psql: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for host "[local]", user
"mattermost", database "mattermost", SSL off

I thought my settings told postgres that linux user mattermost was
mapped by psql user mmuser (which of course holds the mattermost DB),
but it seems it is not the case.
What do I do wrong?

Did you remember to reload Postgres?

Thank you for help.