Search Postgresql Archives

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

Hi,

For what it's worth, Database Workbench with PostgreSQL support was released Yesterday.

http://www.upscene.com/database_workbench/whatsnew

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Nasby Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 1:33 AM To: Tim Uckun ; Pavel Stehule Cc: pgsql-general Subject: Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.
On 9/3/16 7:49 AM, Tim Uckun wrote:
I was hoping there was some IDE which made that process seamless.
Something like PgAdmin but better editing features and features like
"find definition" or "find usages" and such.  The jetbrains products
come close but as I said they are buggy and don't work very well with
postgres.

Keep in mind that workflow doesn't work well if you need to deploy to production on a regular basis.

The workflow I generally use is sqitch[1] and a thin wrapper that runs my unit tests (you do write unit tests for your functions, right? :)). Something like:

revert_to=`sqitch tag|tail -n2|head -n1` # Get second to last deployed tag
sqitch rebase -y --onto $revert_to $DB && sqitch rebase -y --onto $revert_to $DB && db/run_test $DB

Normally you won't be re-deploying that much, so that would be pretty fast. Note that you'll want to create a separate sqitch migration for each object.

[1] http://sqitch.org/
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461