Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Moving from PHP to Java: A result was returned when none was expected.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Jan de Visser <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Point is that you're doing a SELECT. A SELECT returns a result, which can be
empty. I would use executeQuery and ignore the result.

There is a bit of a mismatch between the JDBC stored procedure model and the
pgsql function model, because pgsql doesn't have true stored procedures.

Can you point to docs, JDBC and/or PG, that describe what it means to "RETURN void"?

At a high-level SQL returns SETs and the empty set is a valid SET.  I take it from your comment that JDBC considers the empty set "a result", whose record count is zero.

​David J.​