Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Enhancement request for pg_dump

Le 18/04/2016 03:10, Sergei Agalakov a écrit :
I just wanted to check that my request will have the peoples support.
So far it doesn't.

Well, you can count on my support, for sure!

It looks like that or people never need to compare two PG databases
to find the differences in the schemas or security, or happy to use
the third party tools to do it, and don't want any native support.

I definitely share your opinion. But I understand that pg_dump wasn't originally designed for this purpose, although such a feature would seem so natural, at first glance. So, another idea would be to implement another utility, something very similar to pg_dump (probably sharing most of its code with it, or calling pg_dump like my scripts did), but giving an ordered output.
Implementing such a tool outside of postgres would bring a bit more chaos.
So, the tool should be preferably bundled with postgres, to avoid the need to get a third-party tool.
Hm. When I think about it twice, it sounds like overkilling.

Opinions?

If I see any support from other people for this idea then I shall
go to https://postgresql.uservoice.com/forums/21853-general,

I'd say +1, but the idea should be a bit more matured first, maybe?

À+
Pierre
Pierre Chevalier
PChGEI: Pierre Chevalier Géologue Et Informaticien
Partenaire DALIBO
Mesté Duran
32100 Condom
Tél+fax : 09 75 27 45 62