Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Enhancement request for pg_dump

On 04/17/2016 05:50 PM, Sergei Agalakov wrote:
Nobody asks for pg_dump to be a schema comparison tool. As you tell
yourself
it is a most reliable schema capturing tool. All I am asking is that if
pg_dump is executed
on two databases with the identical schemas and security it should be
able to produce
the identical SQL dumps of these schemas and security. As you have
mentioned in other e-mail
pg_dump actually rewrites some statements for consistency. It just
doesn't do it consistently everywhere.

And there in lies the rub. Making that happen, I suspect, is going to be a lot of work. The goal of the tool is not to produce output that is diff friendly but that produces working schema when transferred to another database. I understand what you want and why I just think it is not as easy as you want to believe. See my other post for ways to try to make this happen.

I can't say anything about priorities of development for pg_dump. The
proposed change seems to be
a low hanging fruit, it isn't difficult to add ORDER BY in the
appropriate places. The other question is if
this is a useful enhancement. The existence of the third party tools
doesn't seem to be very relevant here.
Should be stopped the development of pgAdmin or psql because exist the
third party tools with the similar functionality?
:-)

FYI, pgAdmin is a third party tool, currently being completely rewritten:

http://pgsnake.blogspot.com/2016/04/pgadmin-4-elephant-nears-finish-line.html

Sergei

--
Adrian Klaver