Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Fastest way to duplicate a quite large database

On 04/13/2016 07:46 AM, Edson Richter wrote:
Em 13/04/2016 11:18, Adrian Klaver escreveu:
On 04/13/2016 06:58 AM, Edson Richter wrote:

Another trouble I've found: I've used "pg_dump" and "pg_restore" to
create the new CustomerTest database in my cluster. Immediately,
replication started to replicate the 60Gb data into slave, causing big
trouble.
Does mark it as "template" avoids replication of that "copied" database?
How can I mark a database to "do not replicate"?

With the Postgres built in binary replication you can't, it replicates
the entire cluster. There are third party solutions that offer that
choice:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/different-replication-solutions.html

Table 25-1. High Availability, Load Balancing, and Replication Feature
Matrix

Thanks, I'll look at that.

It has been mentioned before, running a non-production database on the
same cluster as the production database is a generally not a good
idea. Per previous suggestions I would host your CustomerTest database
on another instance/cluster of Postgres listening on a different port.
Then all you customers have to do is create a connection that points
at the new port.

Thanks for the concern.
This "CustomerTest" database is a staging, for customer approval before
upgrading the production system.
I bet the users will only open the system, and say it is ok. As crowded
as people are those days, I doubt they will validate something that is

Not necessarily a bet I would count on:)

already validated by our development team.
But our contractor requires, and we provide.
Since we have "express devivery of new versions" (almost 2 per week), we
would like to automate the staging environment.

My guess is setting up a different cluster and using pg_basebackup(as John suggested) will be a lot easier to automate then creating a differential replication setup. Any way, I have beat this drum long enough.

Thanks,

Edson

Thanks,

Edson