Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Monitoring and insight into NOTIFY queue

On 02/19/2016 06:01 AM, Jiří Hlinka wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to ask you whether there is a way how to monitor and log
details about NOTIFY queue? What do you use for this prupose?

In the official documentation I'm unable to find a way how to monitor
NOTIFY queue in more detail, at least size of this queue, which is
critical in case of filling up the queue, which will lead to stopping
the NOTIFY queue functionality.

Well from here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/commands/async.c;h=beef574076c257db0a868b39a946565185f6c53e;hb=refs/heads/REL9_5_STABLE

"There is one central queue in disk-based storage (directory pg_notify/),
with actively-used pages mapped into shared memory by the slru.c module.
All notification messages are placed in the queue and later read out
by listening backends."

and from here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/sql-notify.html

"The queue is quite large (8GB in a standard installation) ..."

I could see setting up file monitoring in pg_notify/ of the queue file size.

Thanks,
Jiri

--
Adrian Klaver