Search Postgresql Archives

Re: json indexing and data types

On 2015-12-03 02:06, Merlin Moncure wrote:
I feel your pain. jsquery is superb for subdocument searching on *specific* subdocuments but range searching is really limited. Value searching is there for numerics but dates and text range searching are not present. We also have to understand that you are asking the index to make assumptions about the json that are not clear from the structure itself (such

I thought that text range searching (using indexes) was available in pg, at least with vodka ?
Some might say that you're better off using a dedicated json searching server like solr but these systems aren't magic; they will quickly boil down to a brute force search in the face of complex queries, and they have lots of other problems in my experience (starting with, lack of proper transactions and painfully slow insertion of large documents). Other people recommend them; I don't.

They come with their own set of problems. Including not being able to be part of a where clause. The json data may not be the only thing you want to limit your selection with.

/kaare