Search Postgresql Archives

Re: json indexing and data types

On 2015-12-03 01:04, Jim Nasby wrote:
We have a client that has a similar (though also a bit different) need. Specifically, they get an XML document that has element attributes that tell you what data type the element should contain. We convert the XML to JSON (easy thanks to plpython), which produces a bunch of nested JSON objects (typed as specifically as possible in JSON). The XML attributes get turned into items in an object. So

OK, AFAIUI, you added the schema to each row. I think that I have fewer variations, so perhaps the information would live better outside, but that's a detail. Turning them into tables and views is a good way to represent the indexable data. Functionally, it seems to me to be almost the same as functional indexing, but much more transparent, and easier to write a query for,

Are you in control of the JSON itself, and are the number of permutations known in advance? It might be that something like table inheritance is a better solution...

Yes, I can alter the db specification. Not sure how table inheritance would help, though?

/kaare