Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Old source code needed

On 2015-11-27 9:44 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
You realize how old 9.0 is, right? And you understand how nonsensical
your question is? How can you guarantee that code compiles properly on a
compiler which is released years after you write the code?

To me nonsensical would be trying to compile newer code using an old compiler. What the OP did seemed to be in the realm of possibility as I would think backwards compatibility kicks in.

Well, maybe. But there's no way to *guarantee* it will work. And apparently it doesn't.

It's not unheard of - I have some C code which I developed over the last year or so on gcc 4.9. When I first attempted to compile it on 5.2 it failed horrible. And there's no real unusual things I'm doing - I didn't even use C11, just C99.