Search Postgresql Archives

Re: duplicate key errors in log file

On 11/17/15 5:33 PM, anj patnaik wrote:
The pg log files apparently log error lines every time a user inserts a
duplicate. I implemented a composite primary key and then when I see the
exception in my client app I update the row with the recent data.

however, I don't want the log file to fill out with these error messages
since it's handled by the client.

is there a way to stop logging certain messages?

Also do any of you use any options to cause log files not to fill up the
disk over time?

Not really. You could do something like SET log_min_messages = PANIC for that statement, but then you won't get a log for any other errors.

In any case, the real issue is that you shouldn't do this in the client. I'll bet $1 that your code has race conditions. Even if you got rid of those, the overhead of the back-and-forth with the database is huge compared to doing this in the database.

So really you should create a plpgsql function ala example 40-2 at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-ERROR-TRAPPING