Search Postgresql Archives

Re: BDR and Backup and Recovery

On 11/18/15 9:46 AM, Will McCormick wrote:
What viable options exist for Backup & Recovery in a BDR environment?
 From the reading I have done PITR recovery is not an option with BDR.
It's important to preface this that I have almost no exposure to
postgres backup and recovery. Is PITR not an option with BDR?

If a user fat fingers something and deletes records from a table without
a where clause what is the correct course of action is to recover as
much data as possible. What type of backup do I require to restore as
much data as possible before the incident in a BDR environment.

Sorry for such an open ended question. :D I'm continuing to read as I
solicit feedback.

Is there a document outlining recovery with BDR?

I don't know why PITR wouldn't work with BDR, other than you can't use binary backups across incompatible versions and BDR might be considered incompatible with community Postgres. I would think it should still work fine if you try to restore to a BDR server.

That said, remember that if you are not regularly (preferably automatically) testing your backups by doing a restore and testing the restore, then you don't have a backup. You have a hope and a prayer. :)