Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Disk I/O Question

On 11/10/15 8:34 AM, teeeebro wrote:
What I've read about PostgreSQL is that it's a single-thread disk I/O system
where only one read/write operation executes at a time.

Definitely false. However...

Other databases support asynchronous IO, where the database tries to issue IO requests before they're needed and let the kernel notify when the IO is complete. Postgres does some other things in this area, but it's not the same. The end result is that if there's much latency in your IO subsystem at all then performance is really going to take a hit. I've specifically seen this on iSCSI. The good news is that if you have enough concurrent queries you can still get pretty close to maximum theoretical throughput, so for common OLTP workloads you should still be able to scale pretty well.

I'd suggest setting effective_io_concurrency to something > 1. That will allow some operations to attempt pre-fetching data.