Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Domain check constraint not honored?

On 10/29/2015 03:44 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Rob Sargent wrote:
Also thought I should mention that there is an ip address type if that's
what you're trying to accomplish.
Looking at the domain name, I wonder whether contrib/ltree would be
helpful.
Very observant! This is indeed part of a hierarchical data solution. Thanks for the suggestion, but this solution has been in place and working for a few years already. I'm not positive, but I think I may have looked at ltree when I first implemented it, but decided against it in favor of a transitive closure table, augmented with this path for sorting. (I do sometimes wonder whether the transitive closure table is worth it vs just a materialized path.)

I'm just now converting that path to use a custom domain (along with custom operators) instead of just being a string. (The custom operators allow the paths to be sorted properly without each segment needing to be filled with zeros to a fixed length.) (Also FWIW, the latest version of this regexp is now '^([0-9]+.)*[0-9]+$')

Cheers,

Eric