Search Postgresql Archives

Returning JSON or JSONB

Hello,

I was wondering when returning JSON data from a PostgreSQL function for consumption by clients (e.g., PHP or Lua) does it make any difference to declare the function's return type as JSON or JSONB?

Now that I've actually written the question down it occurs to me that what I really want to know is which data type (JSON or JSONB or maybe TEXT) has the lowest overhead in terms of transformation and transmission at the PostgreSQL protocol level.

Thanks,

Dane