Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgres standby won't start

On 10/07/2015 01:30 PM, Ramalingam, Sankarakumar wrote:
Hello Adrian,
Can I use this command so that all the data is streamed directly to the target. Target is pretty much unusable now. Should I get rid of all items under my $PGDATA and leave the empty before doing the following?

pg_basebackup -h <my target hostname>  -D <my target host directory>  -P -U replication --xlog-method=stream

Just to be sure the target is the standby server, correct?

If so you do not want this:

-h <my target hostname>

-h is for the server you are taking the backup of, or to put it another way the flow is from -h to -D.

If you are running pg_basebackup on the same machine as the primary then:

pg_basebackup -D <my target host directory> -P -U replication --xlog-method=stream

This assumes there is only one instance of Postgres running on that machine and it is running on port 5432. If not then you will need to specify -p <correct_port>

pg_basebackup is a client program, so like other such programs you have to tell it what database(cluster) to connect to using the normal switches, see below. Actually pg_basebackup does not connect to a specific database but to the database cluster, so any database name you supply will be ignored.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-pgbasebackup.html

"The following command-line options control the database connection parameters."

Thanks
Kumar Ramalingam
X6015288

--