Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Shouldn't "WHEN (OLD.* IS DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)" clause be independent from data type?

On 10/4/15 4:16 AM, Emre Hasegeli wrote:
The other line of attack would be to deprecate all the fuzzy comparison
behavior in the geometric types, and just make it exact.  Don't know how
much pain that would add, but surely it would also subtract some.

How can we go forward about this?  The current state of the operators
stand in the way of improving index support for them.

Your easiest way forward right now is probably to create an exact equality operator for point and the relevant hash opclass. That should be enough to let IS DISTINCT do it's thing.

BTW, it occurred to me that we could create btree opclasses as well, if we explicitly compared X before Y (or vice-versa). I certainly wouldn't call those operators < or >, but maybe there's enough use to supporting btree for this to make sense.