Search Postgresql Archives

Re: A table of magic constants

On 07/11/2015 01:55 PM, Dane Foster wrote:
Hello Adrian,

Thank you for the additional reference links but my concern was less
about how to find out what a function (formerly magic constant) that I
encountered in the wild did but more about having a list that would
educate newcomers/me about what is automatically available for use. For
example, in the RLS example from my original message, had I the same or
similar need as the poster I would not have been able to formulate the
policy that I quoted because I had no clue that SESSION_USER even
existed. Specifically I would not have been able to formulate the
following clause, "... WITH CHECK (username = SESSION_USER)", w/o first
knowing that SESSION_USER was a thing.

Well that is a generic problem of how to know what you do not know. Similar to starting out looking for a job when the jobs want job experience. The documentation, as you have found out, is extensive. 1000+ pages the last time I heard someone printing it out. So just reading through it and learning everything is not feasible. I would say learn on a problem by problem basis. Start doing something, go to the section of the docs that deal with that and look at the examples, they tend to illustrate common problems. Next step would be using your favorite search engine and looking up examples, say 'Postgres get current user example'. In DuckDuckGo this has one of the links Ray posted as the first hit. Ask this list. FYI, convention on the list is to bottom post.

​Regards,​

Dane

--
Adrian Klaver