Search Postgresql Archives

Re: advocating LTS release and feature-train release cycles

On 06/02/2015 03:59 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:

On 06/02/15 04:27, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 06/01/2015 07:11 PM, Arthur Silva wrote:

In my opinion, FWIW, that really does not change anything. Whether
you are dealing with 20 new features over a year or 10 over half a
year the same constraints apply, writing the code and getting it
reviewed over a given time period. Add in the extra overhead costs of
more frequent releases and I see no gain.

I disagree. The fact that we have 1 release per year means there's one
deadline, and if you miss it you have to wait another year for the
feature to be available in official release. That's a lot of pressure
and frustration for developers. With more frequent releases, this issue
gets less serious. Of course, it's not a silver bullet (e.g. does not
change review capacity).

That is the fundamental issue, wants versus resources to fulfill the wants. That issue remains regardless of the release cycle. The solution lies in either restricting the wants, increasing the resources(more developers, reviewers) or a some combination thereof.

Maybe this should be reposted to the hackers list?

Yes. And there already are threads dealing with this topic.

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx