Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Re: Server tries to read a different config file than it is supposed to

On 05/23/2015 02:42 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
So on my Ubuntu installs it does not set up the postgres user to allow login, so how are you getting to:
su postgres -c ...

From root, presumably ...

Aargh, so used to the little voice telling me not to do things as root I forgot that possibility.

I thought of a different theory: maybe the server's complaint is not due
to trying to read that file as a config file, but it's just because there
is an unreadable/unwritable file in the data directory.  See Christoph
Berg's complaint at
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150523172627.GA24277@xxxxxxxxxxxx

This would only apply if the OP was trying to use this week's releases
though.  Also, I thought the fsync-everything code would only run if
the server had been shut down uncleanly.  Which maybe it was, but that
bit of info wasn't provided either.

			regards, tom lane

--
Adrian Klaver