Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql versus riak for a global exchange

I’m familiar with both PostgreSQL and Riak (1.4, not 2.0).
I know that Riak 2.0 now offers strong consistency. Have not yet seen what that does to performance.
Big plusses for PostgreSQL:
  - you can do both relational and NOSQL tasks (the Binary JSON in the latest PostgreSQL).
  - well-tested consistency, ACID, etc.
  - lots of adapters and support.
  - big community

Big plusses for Riak:
 - multi-master replication
 - multi-data center replication
 - easy to scale up

We use PostgreSQL in combination with Riak for data storage (we have a tokenization service).
We're currently using the EnterpriseDB multi-master PostgreSQL replication and are quite happy with it.
The replication runs periodically, not streaming, so there is at least a 1 second delay for replication to occur.
Riak replicates quicker — but then you don’t have the strong relational structure on top.

As mentioned earlier, ‘exchange…trade…asset’ is a bit vague.
In addition to just storing things, you’ll need to keep track of all sorts of log-in and contact info — perhaps not ideal for Riak.
Probably best to consider precisely what traits your planned application has and then look to match against the database storage.
May even end up with a mix of the two just as we have.

Your decision may also depend on which development language/framework you chose for the implementation.

—Ray