Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql versus riak for a global exchange

On 1/5/2015 10:37 AM, xu xiut wrote:
Hello, I am looking at creating a toy project which may turn into an
actual business if I'm lucky, the ideal is generally just an exchange
for people to trade some type of asset.

I'm looking at using either PostgreSQL or Riak, and I'm wondering if
there are opinions and suggestions that someone would be willing to
share with me when evaluating databases.

This is the first time I've actually considered something besides
PostgreSQL. Riak 2.0 now offers strong consistency and I really respect
the community and the work that has gone into the project. It seems like
it would be easy to replicate across multiple data centers.

Thanks for letting me ask this here!

Never used Riak, no idea. BUT it would be awesome if you did it in both and could post a comparison. It would be neat to see plus/minus lists for the db's.

Your question is pretty light on details: "Trade some type of asset".

I'd be curious to see your layouts for both systems. Also the query types you think you'll need. (One spot Riak might have a problem is eventual consistency. If you only have 1 more foo, and two people post buy requests, will Riak sell more than one?)

Riak seems to support distribution, replication, fail over, scale out, etc. In the sense that Riak is using those words, PG doesn't have all that stuff.

-Andy