Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Stored procedure workflow question

On 12/10/2014 05:03 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
On 11/12/14 13:53, Israel Brewster wrote:
Currently, when I need to create/edit a stored procedure in
Postgresql, my workflow goes like the following:

- Create/edit the desired function in my "DB Commands" text file
- Copy and paste function into my development database
- Test
- repeat above until it works as desired
- Copy and paste function into my production DB.

To edit an existing function, the workflow is basically the same as
above, but I first have to find the function in my file.

This whole workflow just feels kludgy to me. Is there a better way? Or
is that essentially the recommended procedure? Thanks.
Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907) 450-7293

I create an SQL file using a text editer, and then execute it in psql
using the '\i' command from the appropriate directory:

gavin=> \i bus.sql

I your case I would test it in one environment and copy it to another.

You could use git to track versions of the file and the nature of changes.

Though, I am sure there are sophisticated ways of doing this!

Two that come to mind:

Sqitch

http://sqitch.org/

Alembic