Search Postgresql Archives

Re: new index type with clustering in mind.

Jack Douglas wrote:
> > in 9.4, GIN indexes are pretty close to this already
>
> Do I understand correctly that BRIN indexes will be even closer to this?

Yeah, in a way.  You could say they are closer from the opposite end.
There is one index tuple in a BRIN index for each page range (contiguous
set of pages); each index tuple contains a "summary" of what in that
page range.  There are no exact entries.  If the values are randomly
scattered, the index is useless; all page ranges will have to be scanned
for possibly matching tuples.  If the values are perfectly clustered,
the index is optimal because you scan the minimal set of pages.