Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to individually list the DDL for all individual data base objects

Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 11/24/2014 08:12 AM, Berend Tober wrote:
François Beausoleil wrote:

Le 2014-11-24 à 10:14, Berend Tober <btober@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

Is there a good way to individually list the DDL for all individual
data base objects?

<snip>

Were you aware that pg_restore can restore to STDOUT, and output DDL
for only a single named object from a custom dump file?

	<snip> <snip>

The dependance issue is potentially a problem, but (as I believe) it
looks like the output of pg_restore in a list file is in the correct
order to process dependencies, so I could walk backwards of forwards
through that if changes to one object were dependent on, or caused
cascading effects in other objects.

At this point I have to ask:

Your last paragraph seems to be reinventing the -Fc TOC, so I am not
sure where you going with this?

On the small scale, I wanted to have an individual file listing the DDL for each data base object in the case that I need to modify the object ... I could start with the script that created it as a basis for modifications, like for views and functions, etc. In the larger scale, I was thinking I would like to check in all of the individual modules to revision control, retaining a fine-grained control, rather than submitting the one big comprehensive file.

---