Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to individually list the DDL for all individual data base objects

On 11/24/2014 08:12 AM, Berend Tober wrote:
François Beausoleil wrote:

Le 2014-11-24 à 10:14, Berend Tober <btober@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

Is there a good way to individually list the DDL for all individual
data base objects?

<snip>

Were you aware that pg_restore can restore to STDOUT, and output DDL
for only a single named object from a custom dump file?

Yes sir, thank you. That is what the script does.

But that little script seems fragilly-dependent upon the format of the
list file and runs (starts a new process for) pg_restore for every
individual line in the list file. ... which seems like poor practise,
generally. Additionally, I'd like stability in the output file names,
rather than the (likely changing) internal, automatically
numerically-named items.

And, btw, I want not just a single table.

The dependance issue is potentially a problem, but (as I believe) it
looks like the output of pg_restore in a list file is in the correct
order to process dependencies, so I could walk backwards of forwards
through that if changes to one object were dependent on, or caused
cascading effects in other objects.

At this point I have to ask:

Your last paragraph seems to be reinventing the -Fc TOC, so I am not sure where you going with this?

$ pg_restore —help
…

   -f, --file=FILENAME      output file name
…
   -t, --table=NAME         restore named table
…

Such that you could run:

$ pg_restore -f public.mytable.sql -t public.mytable whatever.pgdump

Unfortunately, this does not respect dependencies and you may have
issues. The --disable-triggers option can alleviate some of these
problems. YMMV.

Hope that helps!
François

---